Belgium has ground to a halt again on Monday due to a general strike. This is the third major multi-sector strike so far this year. Flights, public transport and services are disrupted, as workers from a wide range of sectors are taking part.
From cancelled flights, fewer metros, closed schools and picket lines across the country to a large-scale protest in Brussels, find all the latest updates in our live coverage here.
- No flights departing from Brussels Airport and Charleroi
- Public transport is disrupted, including international trains
- Picket lines are set up across the country
Follow the most important developments here. The latest updates appear highest on the page.
[17:54] - Live blog closed
We are closing the live blog, thanks to everyone who stopped by. Tune in tomorrow for more coverage!
[16:58] - MR receives delegation of Brussels fire brigade at party headquarters
The French-speaking liberal party MR received a delegation of the Brussels fire brigade at its party headquarters near Louise on Monday, Belga News Agency reports.
About 20 firefighters remained standing at the entrance of the headquarters during the conversation and set off flares. The action in front of the MR party headquarters was otherwise peaceful.
The Brussels fire brigade wants to point out that it is not in favour of the reforms of the federal government. With the banner 'From Heroes to Zero' they want to denounce the lack of respect for the services provided, such as the work of the fire brigade during the attacks on 22 March 2016.

Firefighters hold a protest action at the headquarters of French-speaking liberal party MR in Brussels. Credit: Belga/Marius Burgelman
[15:11] - 50 VUB professors and staff strike on Etterbeek campus
About 50 professors, researchers and support staff of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) went on strike and protested on the campus in Etterbeek on Monday.
The staff and professors are protesting against the "demolition plans" of the Federal Government. "Professors will lose a lot of their pension."
[14:55] - 'We must bite the bullet,' says Jambon
"We have to do this reform, we have to bite the bullet for a while," said Federal Minister for Finance and Pensions Jan Jambon (N-VA) on Monday afternoon about the general strike. "We are a reform government that is implementing major reforms in many areas, and that always brings some friction."
He emphasised that the Federal Government is open to dialogue. "The objectives are clear, but the modalities and the transition period can be discussed. We are open to social consultation," he said. Later on Monday, Jambon will meet with the social partners to discuss the tensions and look for possible compromises.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Jan Jambon © BELGA PHOTO NICOLAS MAETERLINCK
[14:37] - Public transport severely disrupted in Wallonia
Public transport in Wallonia is severely disrupted on Monday: a large proportion of TEC bus drivers are taking part in the strike. In Walloon Brabant, all bus lines are affected. The TEC ticket offices in Wavre and Ottignies have even closed their doors, while those in Jodoigne, Chastre and Baulers are open.
"Currently, no vehicles are running on the network in Charleroi," the transport company reported on Monday around 11:00. Almost all lines in the rest of Hainaut are also experiencing disruptions. Only the ticket office in Tournai remains open.
The Liège-Verviers region is also experiencing major disruptions. Most lines have been cancelled and all ticket offices remain closed. The situation is similar in the Namur-Luxembourg region, with closed ticket offices.
[14:06] - Severe disruption to waste collection in Brussels
Since Sunday evening, waste collection in Brussels has been severely disrupted as the staff of Brussels Cleanliness are taking part in the strike. The collection of white and blue bags cannot be guaranteed in large parts of the city.

White waste bags by a door. Credit: Belga/Jonas Hamers
On Monday morning, both the blue and white waste bags were not collected in Anderlecht, the Brussels Canal Zone, the Emile Bockstael district in Laeken, the Louise district, Forest, Ixelles and Saint-Gilles.
In Jette, Molenbeek-Saint-Jean, and a number of streets bordering the municipalities of Laeken and Anderlecht, the bags with residual waste and PMD were also left behind. In the centre of Brussels, 65% of the white and blue bags were collected.
[12:52] - AB InBev factories and depots at a complete standstill
The factories and depots of beer brewer AB InBev are at a complete standstill. This concerns the breweries in Leuven, Hoegaarden and Jupille, and the depots in De Pinte and Hasselt. Apart from "a few volunteers here and there", almost all employees are on strike, according to the unions.
The unions complain about the "high workload", "underinvestment" and "toxic working atmosphere" in the company, and announced last week that they would participate in the general strike.

Illustration picture shows the Hoegaarden brewery of AB Inbev beer producers, in Hoegaarden, Monday 23 November 2020. Credit: Belga / Eric Lalmand
[12:38] - Insufficient staff in more than half of prisons
The general strike has had a major impact on prisons: in more than half of them, the minimum staffing levels to guarantee minimum service provision are not being met, said Kathleen Van De Vijver, spokesperson for the Prison Service.
This means that only food distribution and medical care are guaranteed and that police officers have to be deployed. In Flanders alone, more than 100 officers have to step in, according to Van De Vijver. In Wallonia, this involves around 30 officers. The Red Cross is responsible for food distribution in prisons if there are not enough guards.
[11:58] - 'Hundreds of millions of euros' economic damage, say employers
Flemish employers' organisation Voka said in a press release on Monday that the general strike has already had a "major impact," particularly for production and logistics companies. Voka expects a loss that cannot be recovered of €300 million to €500 million.

Workers and sympathizers of the cultural sector gather at the Place de la Monnaie in Brussels. Credit: Belga/Timon Ramboer
According to Voka CEO Hans Maertens, the unions are undermining the country's prosperity. "In economically difficult times, they cause hundreds of millions in damage to the economy. They strike against the government but hit our companies."
Maertens also points to the reputational damage to the Belgian (air)ports. "Our international reputation is taking a serious hit," he says. "Belgium is one of the strike champions in Europe, a title you absolutely do not want to aspire to. The Federal Government's reform plans are necessary."
[11:51] - Hundreds of artists protest on Brussels' Place de la Monnaie
In Brussels, hundreds of artists, actors and employees from the cultural sector are protesting against the planned reforms of the Federal Government. The protestors are not only criticizing the possible reform of the artist's status, but they are also showing solidarity with the other sectors and employees who are at risk of being affected.
The exact number of attendees is not yet known, but the Muntplein is completely filled with demonstrators.
At the same time as the demonstration on the Place de la Monnaie in Brussels, numerous artists are also protesting on the Operaplein in Antwerp. The demonstrators fear that the reform of the artist's status in the context of the reforms of the unemployment benefit will affect 8,000 artists. The artists fear that the reforms will have a major impact on pensions and benefits.

Workers and sympathizers of the cultural sector gather at the Place de la Monnaie in Brussels. Credit: Belga/Axel Cleenewerck

Credit: The Brussels Times
[11:42] - International train services disrupted
International train services connecting Belgium to other countries are disrupted on Monday, according to the SNCB/NMBS International website. Half of the Eurocity Direct trains connecting Brussels-Midi and Amsterdam are cancelled, while ten in 16 trains are running in each direction between Brussels and Rotterdam. Eurocity Direct and EuroCity tickets are exceptionally valid on regional trains via Roosendaal, in the Netherlands, said SNCB.
Additionally, the 07:17 TGV Inoui connecting Brussels-Midi and Strasbourg and the return train, which departs Strasbourg at 17:01 are also cancelled on Monday and Tuesday.
Night trains to Vienna and Berlin only run from Cologne. "Between Brussels/Liège and Cologne, passengers can take ICE trains (German high-speed trains," said SNCB.

Credit: Belga/ Lou Lampaert
[10:59] - 85% of mail deliveries in Flanders continue, major disruption in Wallonia
Around 85% of mail deliveries in Flanders are continuing, despite the general strike. However, the disruption is considerable in Wallonia, with approximately half of the mail left behind, according to Bpost spokesperson Mathieu Goedefroy on Monday. In Brussels, 65% of the mail is delivered.
The trade unions warn that there may still be delays on Tuesday. "The strike will run until 22:00 on Monday, the sorting centres and transport have to keep up with that and that can increase."
[10:47] - Limited disruption at supermarkets
There is no major disruption at supermarkets on Monday morning: a limited number of shops are closed at Aldi, Carrefour and Lidl, but market leader Colruyt reported "no disruption in Flanders and Brussels."
At Delhaize, spokesperson Roel Dekelver is not aware of any blockades or actions at shops themselves. Since Sunday evening, however, there have been "light filter blockades" at the retailer's distribution centre in Zellik (Flemish Brabant). "But these have no significant impact. We have been able to stock all shops, sometimes with slight delays. Customers will not be inconvenienced."

Credit: Belga / Benoit Doppagne
[10:07] - Four in ten SMEs affected
Four in ten SMEs are affected by the general strike on Monday, according to entrepreneurs' organisation Unizo on the basis of a survey of 394 SMEs. The biggest problem is in logistics.
"Many SMEs are directly or indirectly affected: by staff not getting to work, customers not coming and deliveries not being able to happen. There is also the reputational damage."
[10:03] - Regional airports are not affected
The Ostend and Deurne airports are not affected by the general strike, the operator reported on Monday morning. However, there is a malfunction on the website of the regional airports, but that would be temporary and has nothing to do with the strike.
Liège airport is still operational, but there is virtually no activity, said spokesperson Christian Delcourt. Airlines have diverted their flights or moved them to other dates. Picket lines have also been set up and workers have been denied access to warehouses.

The outside of the Antwerp regional airport in Deurn. Credit: Belga/ Robbe Vandegehuchte
[10:03] - ‘Nautical chain at a complete standstill'
The nautical chain in Belgium is at a complete standstill around 09:30, reports the ACOD pilots union, which is part of the socialist trade union ABVV-FGTB. The agency Maritime Services and Coast (MDK), which among other things provides pilots for ships, spoke of 34 waiting ships across the country on Sunday evening.
In the port of Antwerp alone, some 30 ships are waiting on Monday morning. "Quite a large number," said the Port of Antwerp-Bruges. Last night, only three ships arrived and four left.
"But this action goes much broader than just the pilots," said ACOD's Eddy Hendryckx. "The radar centre in Zeebrugge is completely down and will remain so overnight. There is no service anywhere: think also of the shipping escort and the government shipping company VLOOT. Currently, one more large ship will be operated, after that it is done with the operation of the nautical chain."
Many shipping companies did anticipate the strike day and therefore allowed ships to leave earlier. As a result, there was "a big spike" in shipping traffic to and from the ports over the past few days.
[09:33] - Abandoned departure hall at Brussels Airport
The departure hall at Brussels Airport in Zaventem looks empty and deserted on Monday. Some stranded travellers try to continue their way, but most of the passengers knew that no flights were leaving because of the general strike.
Two sisters from Norway, Mettel and Tsnat, did not know there was a national strike. "We spent a week on holiday in Belgium, visiting our aunt," Mettel told Belga News Agency. "We only now discover that our flight has been cancelled. We do not know what to do yet, we are trying to find out now."

Credit: Belga/Ine Gillis
[09:24] - Brussels fire brigade sets up picket line
The Brussels fire brigade is also taking part in the general strike, reports Steven Gillesen of the ACV-CSC Public Services.
The strike picket started at 09:00 at the Rue du Frontispice in the north of Brussels' city centre, near metro stop Yser/IJzer. Several actions are expected throughout the day.
[08:57] - Activists gather at Brucargo roundabout
Some 40 activists gathered at the Brucargo roundabout, the logistics of Brussels Airport in Zaventem. They have been there since 07:00 to express their grievances to passers-by. Several drivers of passing cars and trucks showed their sympathy for the action by honking their horns.
"In aviation, many people work on part-time contracts. Many of the jobs are also physically demanding jobs," said FGTB-ABVV secretary Sandra Langenus. "We note that people will have to work longer because of the measures taken by this government, and that women are particularly affected. Those people do not see that as a good idea."

A strike action takes place at BRUcargo, the logistics area of Brussels Airport in Zaventem. Credit: Belga/Ine Gilles
[08:17] - Pickets on the ULB campus to 'denounce austerity measures'
Students, teachers and researchers are picketing on Monday at the ULB university. The Solbosch campus is being blocked off to denounce "the anti-social policies announced in the federal government's agreement and the attacks by the Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles (FWB) on the education sector."
Many classes have been cancelled. Student groups are on campus raising awareness of the various demands. Speeches by students and workers in various sectors "threatened by government attacks" are also planned, according to the CGSP and USE unions.
"For several years, working conditions in the higher education sector have been deteriorating," they said. "Lecture halls are saturated, practical work groups are overcrowded, and teachers are overworked. The recent measures announced by the FWB and the Federal Government in no way suggest that things will improve in the future."
[08:06] - Picket line at ArcelorMittal in Ghent port
At steel giant ArcelorMittal in Ghent, the announced 24-hour strike started early Monday morning. Striker pickets from the trade unions have been in place since 04:30. "We built up the picket as announced," said Hans Schepens of the ACV-CSC union.
The strike officially began with the start of the morning shift at 06:00 and will last for 24 hours.

Illustration picture shows ArcelorMittal production plant in Desteldonk, Ghent. Credit: Belga/James Arthur Gekiere
ArcelorMittal Gent employs some 5,000 people. The unions called on their members to take part in the action en masse. As the steel plant is a Seveso company (meaning it handles large quantities of dangerous substances), a minimum workforce will remain in place to guarantee safety.
Actions have also started at other major industrial employers in Ghent port, including at Volvo Cars and Volvo Trucks.
[08:02] - No buses on the TEC Charleroi network
In Wallonia, public transport operator TEC communicates the strike impact by region.
No buses left the TEC Charleroi depots on Monday morning, a company spokesperson said on Monday morning. In the Liège-Verviers area, less than half of buses and trams are running. Out of 202 lines, only 71 are running.

Buses parked at the Charleroi depot of Walloon public transport company TEC. Credit: Belga
[07:47] - 11 vessels blocked at North Sea Port
At the North Sea Port, 11 ships have been prevented from entering or leaving the port, reported spokesperson Johan Bresseleers. This concerns four vessels upstream from the North Sea towards Ghent and seven downstream.
The number of vessels affected will further increase during the rest of the day, said Bresseleers.
[07:16] - Half of buses and trams in Flanders running
Across Flanders, only half of all buses and trams are running on Monday, reports Flemish public transport operator De Lijn.
In the provinces of Antwerp and Limburg, four in ten buses and trams are running. In Flemish Brabant and West Flanders, the figure is half, and in East Flanders two-thirds. In Antwerp city, 25% of buses and trams are running, while in Ghent only 45% are running.
De Lijn's website and app currently only show the rides that are running on Monday. Buses and trams that do not run will not be shown.

De Lijn flags and the logo at the bus depot in Beringen. Credit: Belga / Yorick Jansens
[07:02] - Only one metro running in Brussels
On Monday morning, only a handful of buses, trams and metros are running in Brussels, reports Brussels public transport operator STIB/MIVB on its website.
At around 07:00, STIB/MIVB announced that only metro line 1 is operating. Trams are running on lines 4, 7, 10 and 51. There will also be buses on lines 34, 46, 59, 71, 73 (extended to Erasme/Erasmus) and 87 (extended from Simonis to Etangs Noirs/Zwarte Vijvers).

Credit: STIB / MIVB
All other lines will not be served today. Additionally, frequencies are lower than on a normal day.
STIB/MIVB is keeping its passengers informed via its website, application, screens at stops, Facebook page and WhatsApp channel. Via Floya, STIB's multimobility app, travellers can also find alternative routes including taxis, sharing e-bikes, e-scooters and cars.
[06:44] - No flights from Brussels
Brussels Airport announced last week that no passenger flights will depart from Zaventem on Monday: the 244 flights that were scheduled to depart have all been cancelled. Cancellations are also possible on arriving flights.
They advise all passengers to check the status of their flight with their airline or on the website or the app. The flight overview on the website will show cancellations only once they are registered by the airline.
Additionally, all flights departing from and arriving at Charleroi Airport (BSCA) will be cancelled on Monday. Due to a shortage of staff, the safety of operations cannot be ensured.
Brussels Airlines also confirmed that almost all of its 200 flights have been cancelled, except for a dozen arriving flights.

A strike action takes place at Brussels Airport in Zaventem. Credit: Belga/Ine Gillis
[06:00] - Train staff and prison guards start striking early
Prison guards and train personnel were the first ones to start the general strike, as both sectors already started at 22:00 on Sunday evening.
At the railways, a week-long strike by small union METISP-Protect ended Sunday evening, but is immediately followed by the general strike. Railway company SNCB/NMBS announced on Monday that half of IC trains will run and one in three S and L trains. Peak-hour trains will barely run.
In Belgian prisons, minimum services cannot be guaranteed, said Kathleen Van De Vijver, spokesperson for the Prison Service. "The declarations of intent show that the minimum occupancy for minimum services will not be met in every prison. Assistance has been requested from the police for several prisons. The Red Cross may also have to provide support.
When there is no minimum staffing, inmates have to stay in their cells all the time. That means they are not able to see visitors, and their daily walk is not possible either.